Step-By-Step Ways To Save Big
Sealing air leaks and being sure to have the right amount of insulation is important. After all, approximately 50 percent of your electric bill is attributed to heating and cooling your home. With leaks and insufficient insulation, you can expect those costs to be even higher. Do something about it! By completing this work you could be eligible for a rebate from South River EMC, as well as making your home more efficient.
Common air leaks include: Behind Kneewalls/Attic Hatch/Wiring Holes/Plumbing Vents/Open Soffit (the box that hides the recessed lights)/Recessed Lights/HVAC Flue or Duct Chaseway (the hollow box or wall feature that hides ducts)/Basement Rim Joists (where the foundation meets the wood framing)/Windows and Doors.
*Effective 3/1/2012 R38 for Harnett County and R30 for Sampson, Johnston, Cumberland and Bladen counties.
- Ducts newly sealed using mastic and UL 181 mesh or fully replaced
- Insulation in crawl space checked (R13 or less to R19 or greater)*
- Insulation in the ceiling/attic checked (R19 or less to R30/38 or greater)*
- All external openings sealed
- Home is all electric (heat pump or electric furnace/central AC)
- Work completed by contractor at the expense of the member
- Member completed all work themselves (receipts for all materials)
- Duct Sealing Rebate $100
- Air Sealing Rebate $100
- Complete and sign application.
- Return application to South River EMC along with a copy of the bill of work describing all work completed by a contractor or receipts for merchandise purchased and dates of work completion—rebate will not be processed without these documents and an on-site inspection by South River EMC is required.
- You must receive electric service from South River EMC in the home where the insulation and weatherization is conducted.
- The home must be at least five years old.
- Home must be all electric.
- The work must have been completed in the 90 days preceding the application for rebate.
- Work must be checked for compliance by an authorized South River EMC employee before a rebate is issued.
- Rebates are subject to change without notice.
- All rebates are subject to approval and are contingent upon fund availability.
- In the case where all work was completed and paid for by a service organization such as Community Action, the member’s rebate will be applied to their electric service account as a credit.